Welcome the The WSA Exchange, for healthy hearts and minds. Kathy Rogers, American Heart Association Western States Affiliate Executive Vice President will share stories from across the affiliate.
There were just too many extraordinary activities to fit into one – or even two posts! Please bear with me as I share a few more thoughts…
Ever conscious of using our donor dollars wisely, we only had one evening together. Of course, we make the most of every moment together! For our awards dinner, we went with a western theme – complete with line dancing and a costume contest. Like everything we do in the Western States – we went big!
Below are some pictures from the fun. If you are a staff member, you can find more pictures on our internal SharePoint site. If you are a volunteer or donor, you can view some of our favorites on our WSA Flickr page.
What a fantastic time we had last week at our WSA all-Staff conference in Phoenix. I am excited and inspired by the connections we’ve made – and can’t wait to see what the future holds.
A big staff conference highlight is always our affiliate awards presentation where we honor a few outstanding individuals and teams from around the affiliate. We received a record breaking 92 nominations this year – the most ever in Western States history! Stop and think about that for a moment. We have around 310 affiliate staff members and nearly one-third of them were nominated for one of these very special awards. I think that speaks volumes about the incredible caliber of our colleagues.
So let me get right to the award winners:
- John LaBissioniere, Against All Odds Award: WSA Youth Market Team
- Affiliate Newcomer of the Year Award: Kerry Sallee
- Health Strategies Newcomer of the Year Award: Brittni Chicuatta
- Administration and Support Newcomer of the Year Award: Sarah Haydostian
- 2020 Impact Award: Quality and Systems Improvement Team
- Health Strategies Values In Action Award: Malka Sierra
- Development Values In Action Award: Liza Mudd
- Values In Action Award: North Bay Team
- Simple Seven Champion Award: Marklem Valdovinos
- Heart of Our Success Champion: Shannon MacAdam
- Coach of the Year: Kathy Young
- John McNeil Inspire Passion Award: Nicole Olmstead
- Support Star Award: Kami Sutton
- Executive Director of the Year (metro): Jessica Gordon Lannom
- Executive Director of the Year (non-metro): Jennifer Kraushaar
- Western States Affiliate Award of Excellence: Sang-Mi Oh
Congratulations and thank you to our winners – and also to the many nominees. You make me proud to work here!
I just wanted to post a quick thank you to the 300-plus staff who traveled from all ten of our great states to participate in our 2014 all-staff meeting in Phoenix this week.
What a wonderful opportunity this presented to network, collaborate and learn together. I can’t tell you how great it was to get to put more faces to names and strategize as a large group on how we are going to improve our communities and save lives.
I’ll share much more next week (and pictures – many pictures!), but I wanted to extend a warm thank you to all who were able to attend. Thank you for all you do every day to make the American Heart Association an amazing place to work and volunteer!
In the 2013-14 school year, two energized Greater Bay Area volunteers decided they wanted to take on a challenge. They signed up for Jump Rope For Heart and extended the program to the entire school – over 1,000 students!
Together, Jeff King and Nicholas Driscoll from Forest Park Elementary in Fremont, Calif., focused on teaching heart healthy habits including exercise, nutrition and living tobacco free. They also explained how we can help those with “sick hearts.” Not only did the school raised over $13,000 to further our mission, but they have made a big impact on our 2020 goal by helping to improve the cardiovascular health of their school community.
In 2013, Forest Park raised $1,635. This year they grew participation to over $13,500! These results rank them as the No. 1 school in the Bay Area with the largest increase over previous year.
Thank you Jeff and Nicholas, for your commitment to your community and your students’ health!